Tuesday, November 5, 2013

Paleo Freezer Party #2

Last week my sister and I completed our 2nd Paleo Freezer Party! And we had 3 guests! Our sweet friend Jackie, my cousin-in-law Megan, and our littlest sister Shannon. It was awesome! Lauren and I did all the grocery shopping and I'm not gonna lie… it was a little stressful. I think next time we'll do it differently.

Clockwise from top left: Shannon, Megan, Jackie, and Me!


Here's how we did it:

Lauren and I chose 5 recipes (details on those below), then each person chose the quantity they wanted of each recipe. I made the grocery list then Lauren and I shopped. We went to Trader Joe's, Whole Foods, Kroger, and our local butcher shop, Critchfield Meats. What I didn't consider beforehand was the math. Because everyone chose a different amount of each recipe and Lauren paid for some groceries and I paid for others, the math was tough to figure out. I did it, but it just took me awhile. And who has time for all that, right? Live and learn!

If you want to do this with a group of friends, I would suggest having a set menu- each person gets the same amount of each recipe. You want to make enough to make it worth so everyone needs to be financially in and able to buy the food in bulk. Have one person do the shopping and pay for the groceries. Then it's easy to split the bill equally between everyone. You can start a rotation for the shopping and which house you party at, if you want to do freezer parties frequently. 

Important things to consider: 

  • Make sure you have enough space in your fridge for all the food if you shop ahead of time. 
  • Make sure you have enough freezer space to store all your goods once they're made!
  • Buy more seasoning than you think you'll need. We always run out. 
  • Start a freezer party bin where you store freezer containers, freezer bags, plastic wrap, aluminum foil, sharpies, and extra spices/seasoning.
  • Consider making all the recipes with raw chicken last so you're not spreading the raw chicken all over the kitchen at the beginning. Trust me, it will be every where. 

All right, so here's the rundown. 
  • 2+ hours spent grocery shopping
  • 4 hours spent prepping, cooking, and partying!
  • $645 spent
  • 20 (2 serving) containers of Coconut Chicken
  • 22 (2 serving) containers of Honey Mustard Bacon Wrapped Chicken
  • 13 (4-6 serving) bags of Cheeseburger Soup
  • 8 (4-6 serving) bags of Tex-Mex Carnitas
  • 28 Mexican Stuffed Peppers

That's comes out to approximately 196 meals (based on servings per container) which equals $3.29/meal. Woohoo! Here are the recipes:


FREEZER INSTRUCTIONS: Follow directions in recipe up until you bake the chicken. Place chicken in freezer safe container. Press a layer of plastic wrap directly onto the chicken. Then cover the container with lid or foil. When ready to eat, thaw in fridge 24 hours; bake as instructed. Or bake directly from frozen for 45-60 minutes until juices run clear or temperature reads 165.

We liked this one so much from our First Freezer Party, we made it again. See that post for freezer instructions. 

Freezer instructions included with recipe. This soup is so so so good! My husband and I LOVE it! I'm now thinking about all the combinations you could do with this soup- mushroom & swiss is on the top of my list. Mmmmm. . . 

FREEZER INSTRUCTIONS: Combine all ingredients in gallon size freezer bag. No need to thaw before placing in crockpot but it makes it easier if you cover with cold water for 30-60 minutes in your sink to move from the bag to crockpot. Cook on low for 8 hours. About an hour before done, shred the pork. 

FREEZER INSTRUCTIONS: Individually wrap in plastic wrap or put into quart sized freezer bag. Bake at 400 for 60+ minutes or until warmed through. So easy, so good. 

A well stocked freezer is always appreciated at my house! :)
Have fun!





No comments:

Post a Comment